MarineSpace is a specialist marine consultancy using exceptional knowledge, imagination and experience to enable significant and valuable projects to develop successfully, efficiently and responsibly in the complex marine environment. As part of a continued programme of expansion the company is currently seeking to employ graduate level Marine Consultants to join our experienced team.
MarineSpace provides services to a wide range of marine sectors and is leading the way in floating offshore wind, cables and aggregates in particular and we are seeking out the brightest talent who want to contribute in a significant way. The successful candidates will have an enthusiasm to develop and grow with the business and, although not essential, will be able to demonstrate specific experience of project-work in the renewables and/or aggregate sectors.
The location of the position will ideally be in MarineSpace’s Norwich office although we are prepared to be flexible for the right candidates.
- Assisting in preparation of reports to a high standard, including desk studies, scoping reports, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), and specialist advice to UK Government;
- Providing support to senior and principal specialists in writing proposals;
- Contributing to survey design and planning with senior and principal specialists; and
- Working with mapping scientists to produce seabed habitat maps of EUNIS and Annex I habitats based on acoustic and ground truthing data;
- BSc or MSc in a relevant technical subject;
- Good knowledge and understanding of the UK’s marine biodiversity, including awareness of the EUNIS marine habitat classification system;
- Knowledge and understanding of sublittoral benthic survey design and the types of data available from marine biological surveys of the seabed in coastal or offshore environments, including remote sensing and ground truthing survey techniques, and the limitations associated with these data;
- Extensive experience in the use of standard MS Office software;
- Experience of univariate and multivariate statistical analysis and different software packages (e.g. R, Primer);
- Awareness of relevant European and domestic legislation concerning nature conservation and assessment of potential environmental effects in the marine environment, including the Marine and Coastal Access Act, Habitats Regulations, EIA Directive; and
- An enthusiastic attitude and willingness to learn, as part of a team and under own supervision.
- 1-2 years professional experience in marine consultancy or a technical marine field;
- Experience of project management, including knowledge / experience of completing tasks to agreed budgets and timeframes;
- Experience of GIS packages (preferably ESRI™ ArcGIS or QGIS) to manipulate, interrogate and interpret spatial datasets, including integrating and analysing different types of data from multiple sources;
- Specialist knowledge of a specific marine sector and associated potential impacts on the marine environment; and
- Understanding of HRAs and Marine Conservation Zone Risk Assessments.
Terms of employment will be commensurate with the skills and experience of the successful candidate.
To apply for this post please email a CV and covering letter in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format to email@example.com by Friday 8th October 2021 quoting ‘Application for Marine Consultant’ in the subject line.